Fall registration opens August 22nd.
The Ontario School Counsellors’ Association offers Additional Qualification Courses in Guidance and Career Education Parts I, II and Specialist (Part III) in Winter, Spring and Summer and Fall.
OSCA’s online, interactive courses are user friendly and allows real-time practice of the skills needed for the effective Guidance Teacher-Counsellor. We have a virtual classroom where we meet in real time to practice counselling skills, listen to guest speakers, and watch videos. This feature is very popular and it really makes OSCA’s AQ experience prominent.
As part of the course, you will require earphones and a microphone to participate. A built in microphone is acceptable, but please ensure you use earphones. (Using external speakers causes unwanted background noise in the online classroom). You can find a cheap set of earphones/earbuds at any dollar store.
The videos and interactive nature of the course require the most recent Adobe Reader (http://get.adobe.com/reader/) and Quicktime (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/) downloads. Both of these are free downloads.
The portal that the course uses is ‘8080’. If you choose to log in at school you may experience some difficulty. Please check with your help desk and they will be able to assist you. You should have no difficulty from your home computer.
Before the course begins, you will receive an email containing a link to OSCA’s virtual classroom, as well as a user login id and password. Please bookmark this classroom link for easy access in the future. When you are first able to login, we suggest you review all the required modules in the course and map out gauge your time lines.
All assignments are due by the end of your course. We use an adult education model – you are responsible for and are in charge of your learning.
As part of your OSCA AQ registration, you automatically become a member of OSCA for the upcoming (or current) school year. As such, you will have access to the OSCA member’s lounge which is full of resources for guidance counsellors in Ontario. Also, will receive our 2x per week OSCAnews (from Sept to June), our quarterly professional publication, OSCA Today and OSCA’s quarterly executive e-report, OSCAction.
Please do not hesitate to contact your instructor if you have any questions! They are here for you and your continuing education.
This online, interactive course is user friendly and allows real-time practice of the skills needed for the effective counsellor.
OSCA’s Ethical Guidelines (download free when you register)
Part 2 requires a Teaching Experience Form
There is no longer a text for this course.
Course Refund Protocol: 100% End of week 1, 75% During week 2, 50% to midpoint of course, No Refund after midpoint of course. Refunds subject to $25 administration Fee.
After we receive and process your registration:
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail with your receipt. Please check your spam for your receipt if you do not get a receipt in your inbox.
- You will be receive a link to register as an OSCA AQ member. Your instructor will provide you with the instructions.
- You will receive the Ethical Guidelines for Ontario School Counsellors for free. On your receipt, click on the ‘Product Download’ link in order to download your copy of ethical guidelines.
- You will also want to complete your profile in full to take advantage of all OSCA’s publications including our quarterly professional magazine, OSCA Today, our weekly OSCA News
- You will also have immediate access to a wealth of guidance specific resources
- You will also have the opportunity to attend OSCA conferences and events at a preferred rate
- Your instructor will contact you with a brief introduction to the course and your login instructions for the online sessions
- Your instructor will be available before the course starts for any questions you may have
As with all Additional Qualification Courses, the Ontario College of Teachers regulates the content, delivery and number of hours that must be dedicated to each course. Upon successful completion of a course your results will be uploaded to the OCT database. Although the Ontario College of Teachers regulates the course, you do not have to be a certified teacher to enrol in our additional qualifications offerings – however, you must understand that your results will not be sent to the OCT, nor will they be applied in the future if you happen to complete your teaching qualifications and become an OCT member. You will have to retake the course at that time if you wish to have it appear on your OCT record – no exceptions.