Fall registration now full. Watch for upcoming AQ courses.
The Ontario School Counsellors’ Association offers Additional Qualification Courses in Guidance and Career Education Parts I, II and Specialist (Part III) in Winter, Spring and Summer and Fall.
OSCA’s online, interactive courses are user friendly and allows real-time practice of the skills needed for the effective Guidance Teacher-Counsellor. We have a virtual classroom where we meet in real time to practice counselling skills, listen to guest speakers, and watch videos. This feature is very popular and it really makes OSCA’s AQ experience prominent.
As part of the course, you will require earphones and a microphone to participate. A built in microphone is acceptable, but please ensure you use earphones. (Using external speakers causes unwanted background noise in the online classroom). You can find a cheap set of earphones/earbuds at any dollar store.
The videos and interactive nature of the course require the most recent Adobe Reader (http://get.adobe.com/reader/) and Quicktime (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/) downloads. Both of these are free downloads.
If you choose to log in at school you may experience some difficulty. Please check with your help desk and they will be able to assist you. You should have no difficulty from your home computer.
Before the course begins, you will receive an email containing a link to OSCA’s virtual classroom, as well as a user login ID and password. Please bookmark this classroom link for easy access in the future. When you are first able to login, we suggest you review all the required modules in the course and map out gauge your time lines.
All assignments are due by the end of your course. We use an adult education model – you are responsible for your learning and are in charge of your learning. Please note, that at the time of registering for the course, one must be certified by the Ontario College of Teachers, as your OCT # is part of the process to register.
As part of your OSCA AQ registration, you automatically become a member of OSCA for the upcoming (or current) school year, if one does not have a current subscription. As such, you will have access to the OSCA member’s lounge which is full of resources for guidance counsellors in Ontario. Each person will receive the weekly OSCA News (from Sept to June), and OSCA Today, the professional magazine of the association, published three times a year.
Please do not hesitate to contact your instructor if you have any questions! They are here for you and your continuing education.
This online, interactive course is user friendly and allows real-time practice of the skills needed for the effective counsellor.
OSCA’s Ethical Guidelines (download free when you register)
Part 2 requires a Teaching Experience Form
There is no longer a text for this course.
Course Refund and Course Completion Policy:
Please refer to the refund policy in the About Us section of the OSCA website.
After we receive and process your registration:
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail with your receipt. Please check your spam for your receipt if you do not get a receipt in your inbox. Please save this receipt.
- You will be receive a link to register as an OSCA AQ member, if you are currently not an OSCA member. Your instructor will provide you with the instructions. This subscription is valid for the current school year only.
- You will receive the Ethical Guidelines for Ontario School Counsellors for free. On your receipt, click on the ‘Product Download’ link in order to download your copy of ethical guidelines. Link maybe used once. Please save your copy to a memory stick for further use.
- You will also want to complete your profile in full to take advantage of all OSCA’s publications including our professional magazine, OSCA Today, our weekly OSCA News
- You will also have immediate access to a wealth of guidance specific resources
- You will also have the opportunity to attend OSCA conferences and events at a preferred rate
- Your instructor will contact you with a brief introduction to the course and your login instructions for the online sessions
- Your instructor will be available before the course starts for any questions you may have
As with all Additional Qualification Courses, the Ontario College of Teachers regulates the content, delivery and number of hours that must be dedicated to each course. At the time of registering for the course, a person must be certified by OCT. No exceptions. Upon successful completion of a course your results will be uploaded to the OCT database.